Children & Youth
First Christian Church has many program offerings for children and youth. If you have questions or know someone who would like to take part, please contact Kara Seaton, Minister with Children, Youth & Families, by email or through the church office, 319-337-4181.
Children & Worship
Children of all ages are always welcome in FCC worship services. Activity bags for younger children and binders for older children can help keep hands busy while still engaging them in worship. We offer a special space at the front of the sanctuary for kids in 3rd grade and younger to gather on rugs and engage in quiet activities including books, coloring and sensory worship materials. *Worship is currently available in the church sanctuary at 10am each Sunday and through the church YouTube page.
For families who would like to use it, nursery care is available for children ages 0-5 years starting at 9:45am on Sundays.
Faith Formation, 11:15-12 Noon (beginning September 18)
Beginning September 18 we will offer Faith Formation for all ages following worship. Classes will begin at 11:15am and last until noon. There will be classes for adults, youth and children (age 4 and older). nursery will be provided for our younger children. Adult classes will be a combination of studies on a variety of topics as well as occasional hands on projects (some intergenerational with the children and youth). Children and youth will have age appropriate classes, sharing some activities in larger groups of all the young people and sometimes doing intergenerational hands-on projects with adults.
Children and youth at FCC are welcome to participate in youth group, providing an opportunity to make friends, play games and have fun while building relationships and providing a safe space to talk. Group activities include outtings and activities, service projects in the community, educational focused field trips, weekend retreats, and more.
- JYF includes children in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades
- Chi Rho is for youth in 6th, 7th and 8th grades
- CYF is for highschool youth (9-12th grades)
The First Christian Church and Sunier College Scholarships
Scholarships are available from two funds within the church that were made available through the generosity of persons who were firm believers in the benefits of higher education. Applications are accepted each spring. See the scholarship application form for the date that the application must be received.
- First Christian Church Scholarship (formerly the Helen Gay Scholarship) for participants at First Christian Church
- Sunier Scholarship to encourage participation in English language literature or poetry classes.
- Facebook Group for Children, Youth and Family Ministries
- YouTube Channel containing weekly Children's Moments and other videos for FCC Children, Youth and Family Ministries
- Welcome! Sunday, September 11 2022
- Children's Sabbath, October 16, 2022
- Mid-Year Youth Retreats at the Christian Conference Center in Newton, Iowa
- Children & Youth Christmas Program, December 18, 2022
- Easter Sunday, Sunday, April 9, 2023
- Summer Camp at the Christian Conference Center in Newton, Iowa
All who work in roles with direct supervision of children or youth are required to be screened, have a background checks and participate in regular trainings. View our Child Protection Policy.