Children & Youth
First Christian Church has many program offerings for children and youth. If you have questions or know someone who would like to take part, please contact Kara Seaton, Minister with Children, Youth & Families, by email or through the church office, 319-337-4181.
*At this time, the following online activities are on hiatus for summer (Sunday School for preK-5th graders and JYF - youth group for 3rd, 4th & 5th graders). QuaranTeens (youth group for 6th-12th graders) is continuing to meet online weekly through the month of June. Online and in-person opportunities will be available this summer (including VBS), so be sure to check the weekly newsletters for the most recent information regarding dates & activities, or contact Kara.
Children & Worship
Children of all ages are always welcome in FCC worship services. Activity bags for younger children and binders for older children can help keep hands busy while still engaging them in worship. We offer a special space at the front of the sanctuary for kids in 3rd grade and younger to gather on rugs and engage in quiet activities including books, coloring and sensory worship materials. *Worship is currently available weekly via the church YouTube Channel and outdoors at the church each Sunday at 10am.
For families who would like to use it, nursery care is available for children ages 0-5 years starting at 8:45am and lasting through worship. The classroom is located on the lower level. *Nursery care is not being offered at this time.
Sunday School, 9:00-9:45 am (September - May)
- Children are divided into K-2nd and 3-5th grades to explore Bible stories and faith through animated videos, hands-on activities and discussion. *Meeting online Sept 2020-May 2021
- Youth in 6-12th grades meet to discuss topics related to the Bible, Christianity and history, social justice, faith and life application. *Youth in 6th-12th grade are meeting online weekly during the pandemic
JYF Youth Group includes children in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades. They meet once a month to make friends, play games and do activities, take part in conversation and devotion meant to stretch this age group to think about what it means to be the hands and feet of God in the world. *Meeting online Sept 2020-May 2021
Chi Rho (6th, 7th and 8th grades) and CYF (9-12th grades) youth have several opportunities to meet each month. In addition to Sunday School, a community group meets weekly to give the youth the opportunity to build relationships and have a safe space to discuss hot button topics and faith. Chi Rho/CYF also meets at least once a for large group activities, service projects and retreats. *Youth in 6th-12th grade are meeting online weekly during the pandemic
The Helen Gay and Sunier College Scholarships
Scholarships are available from two funds within the church that were made available through the generosity of persons who were firm believers in the benefits of higher education. Applications are accepted each spring and are typically due May 1.
- Helen Gay Scholarship for participants at First Christian Church
- Sunier Scholarship to encourage participation in English language literature or poetry classes.
- Facebook Group for Children, Youth and Family Ministries
- YouTube Channel containing weekly Children's Moments and other videos for FCC Children, Youth and Family Ministries
- Welcome! Sunday, September 2021 (TBD)
- Children & Youth Christmas Program, mid-December (TBD)
- Easter Sunday, Sunday, April 17, 2022
- Youth Sunday, TBD
- Vacation Bible School, online and in-person programming in June 2021, REGISTER HERE
- Summer Camp at the Christian Conference Center in Newton, Iowa
All who work in direct supervision of children or youth are required to be screened, have a background checks and participate in regular trainings. View our Child Protection Policy.